top of page
Job Title: Instructional Designer
Organization: Colorado Mesa University
A comprehensive university in Grand Junction, Colorado Mesa University provides exceptional educational opportunities on a state-of-the-art campus. As western Colorado's largest university, CMU serves students on its main campus in Grand Junction, its satellite campus in Montrose, its community college, Western Colorado Community College and via online offerings.
Colorado Mesa University serves as the primary intellectual and cultural center of western Colorado and promotes the exchange of ideas that are of regional, national and international importance. Founded in 1925, it's a dynamic university enrolling more than 11,000 students at the associate, baccalaureate and graduate levels.
At the heart of the CMU experience is an integrative and experiential approach to higher education that encourages students to think differently and empowers them to challenge assumptions. CMU brings students together with expert scholars and thinkers from different disciplines to make connections between ideas and gain the skills to solve the unstructured, complex problems they'll encounter in life. Our focus is on providing quality academic programs, built on a strong liberal arts core that support students' interests and regional employment needs, as well as technical programs that respond to vocational workforce demands.
The Grand Valley is home to some of the best outdoor recreation in the state of Colorado and the best part you won't have to fight traffic and crowds to enjoy it. CMU is surrounded by the Grand Mesa, Book Cliffs and the Colorado National Monument. We have world-class mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, and rafting. In addition to a mountain resort that's less than 45 minutes from campus for skiing, snowboarding and cross-country skiing. Living and working in Grand Junction, you will be able to explore one of Colorado's best kept secrets.
Job Title: Instructional Designer
Department: Graduate Studies/Distance Education
Position No. AF0200
Employment Type: Administrative
Salary: $45,000.00 - 50,000.00. Commensurate with education and experience. Excellent health and retirement benefits package: https://www.coloradomesa.edu/human-resources/faculty-staff/index.html.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 5/30/2022.
How to Apply: Applicants will be asked to complete an online application by creating a profile and then providing personal and demographic information. In addition, please be prepared to upload a:
- Cover letter
- Include the name, phone number, email address and relationship of at least three professional references who can attest to your ability to perform the job you are applying for. Professional references should include at least one current or former supervisor. Professional reference may also include current or former employers, colleagues or other professionals who have first-hand knowledge and can recommend you for employment hire)
- Copy of transcripts for all degrees completed (if your transcripts include a social security number or birthdate, please redact that information before uploading the document. Official transcripts will be required upon
Direct Inquiries Contact: Josh Rosenbaum
Assists the University in the design and delivery of online courses and integration of best practices in instruction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Collaborates with faculty and Distance Education staff to create virtual education activities and environments for the design and integration of supportive materials and activities, selection and use of assessment strategies, all to enhance student learning, retention, and satisfaction.
Cooperates with faculty and departments to optimize use of curricula resources for technology enhanced course environments and to insure that online course materials are accessible to all groups, including those with disabilities.
Responsible for providing leadership in identifying and applying research-based quality standards in the design of online courses, particularly Quality Matters standards. Must be knowledgeable about copyright policies, accessibility and other legal standards as they apply to the use of information on the web.
Manages and assists in the creation process of online, hybrid/blended and web-enhanced courses.
Provides consultation and assistance to faculty in effective course design for online learning, and technology strategies to deliver high-value synchronous and asynchronous learning activities, objects, and assessments, including but not limited to online and via Web 2.0 technologies
Works collaboratively and effectively with full-time and adjunct faculty of varying backgrounds and levels of academic technology proficiencies to experiment with or pilot new technologies in the hybrid or fully online classroom
Develops tools, templates, tutorials, reference materials, and announcements
Applies a systematic instructional design model and instructional systems components to the design and development of educationally rich learning environments, including online environments
Designs and develops quality online and hybrid courses in learning management systems (D2L, Blackboard, etc.)
Assists in training faculty in areas related to teaching and technical strategies that support or promote quality course design.
Continuously explores new course design strategies and technologies that would benefit the University to support the design and development of online and hybrid courses and incorporates them into the online course design/development process.
Participates in continuous improvement reviews online and hybrid courses.
Conducts needs assessment and usability analyses to support course redesign and enhancements.
This position reports to the Assistant
Vice President of Academic Affairs/Director of Distance Education.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Master's degree required from an accredited college or university in Instructional Design, Education Technology, Education, Curriculum, or a related field;
• Minimum of 3 years experience in the design and development of technology-based instructional experiences, including online, hybrid, web-enhanced and other blended courses
• Proven experience working with faculty on course design and development for distance learning programs/courses
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of instructional design theory, instructional design principles, learning theory, instructional technology, and adult learning theory
• Previous project management experience
• Demonstrated ability to develop effective instruction for several different pedagogical orientations
• Demonstrated ability to create successful objective-based online learning with a backwards design approach
• Ability to apply a team-centric approach to designing and developing courses, processes, and materials
• Proven experience managing design and development projects, including implementing project timelines
• Working knowledge of learning management systems such as Desire2Learn, Blackboard, Moodle, or Sakai
• Understanding of Web 2.0 technologies and their application to eLearning environments, including wikis, badges, blogs, and social bookmarking
• Working knowledge of emerging technologies and their impact on instructional design, including mobile learning
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Familiarity with various specialized software applications
• Ability to work well with diverse personalities and sensitive to the needs of a diverse population
• Familiarity with web conferencing, and/or other synchronous and asynchronous online learning development tools
• Experience with D2L
• Experience with content-based and technology-based Open Educational Resources (OERs)
• Working knowledge of Quality Matters Rubric & Standards
• Proven experience working with faculty on course design and development for distance learning programs/courses in a higher education environment
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students and faculty.
Ability to work with and apply basic mathematical concepts of arithmetic and algebra, along with the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical problems.
Ability to define problems, collect information, and draw valid conclusions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The tasks involved with this position are typically performed in a fast-paced office. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Colorado Mesa University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and who have a demonstrated commitment to improving the levels of access and success for underrepresented students within higher education.
Colorado Mesa University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. Applicant must be able to verify U.S. employment eligibility. Colorado Mesa University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staff and student body. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position.
Colorado Mesa University
Attn: Human Resources Office
1100 North Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81501
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3009201
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
bottom of page