top of page
Job Title: Academic Technology Specialist
Organization: Amherst College
Academic Technology Specialist
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Academic Technology Specialist position. The Academic Technology Specialist is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $70,000 per year - commensurate with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
Reporting to the Director of Technology for Curriculum and Research, the Academic Technology Specialist plays an important role in advancing the educational mission of the College. This position supports faculty and instructional staff in developing and delivering high-quality education by leveraging technology effectively and innovatively. This includes providing expertise in Learning Management Systems (LMS) and various academic technology tools, as well as contributing to the college's digital accessibility efforts. This position will also receive functional guidance from a Senior Academic Technologist and work independently as well as collaboratively to employ new tools and methods to fulfill the College's teaching, learning, and research objectives.
The Academic Technology Specialist will be a member of the Academic Technology Services (ATS) team within IT. The Academic Technology Specialist will take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Due to the nature of the position, work outside normal hours of operation may be required.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Academic Technology Support
• This position is a key contributor to all phases of the academic technology work to support and enhance teaching and learning. Functions broadly in design and implementation, including the data-driven analysis of user needs, technology, and curriculum design, and the review, programming, and implementation of information systems. This work involves the implementation of academic technology tools and web platform design and applications in a manner consistent with a complex, diverse, and dynamic software environment. Supports systems design projects across the project lifecycle; focuses on the user learning experience, working iteratively and collaboratively with stakeholders across varied Amherst College user groups and engaging with external users; contributes to decisions on system features and customizations.
• Troubleshoots and resolves queries relating to academic technologies, LMS, and similar systems, as well as assistive learning technologies. Actively participates in the department's efforts to promote new technologies, including AR, VR, and GenAI tools, for academic purposes.
Support for LMS Management
• Secondary administrator of the Moodle LMS (and related tech integrations) to deliver the curriculum. Demonstrates advanced knowledge and abilities in the administration of Learning Management Systems, database systems, and emerging technologies. Supports Moodle cloud data migration. Collaborates on LMS usage policies with the Director and Senior Academic Technologist.
• Provides a wide range of expertise in LMS and instructional technology by researching, evaluating, selecting, and implementing specialized software, devices, and tools for the LMS and similar systems.
• Contributes to communication, collaboration, and database management software and tools related to the LMS, regularly making decisions that are critical and relevant to the educational objectives of the college.
• Actively participates on the team responsible for support of all external/internal web related software and applications linked to the LMS work.
Instructional Design for the Curriculum using digital technologies
• Provides expertise in the planning, technical implementation, and management of educational and research projects with students, faculty, staff, and colleagues across campus, including researching, evaluating, selecting, and acquiring digital tools, hardware, and software and providing instruction on the use of advanced software and tools for group instruction and individual consultation to meet the goals of assigned projects. Analyzes user needs by understanding the curriculum and providing optimal solutions.
• Contributes to the department's assistive technology initiatives by working closely with the department's Digital Accessibility Specialist. Works collaboratively to evaluate, select, and implement assistive technology solutions to meet the College's academic needs and accessibility compliance objectives.
Communication and Outreach
• Independently develops and implements general as well as customized learning materials, workshops, user documentation, and consulting services on the LMS and similar systems for faculty, staff, students, and other academic support colleagues across campus. Contributes to the creation of online resources to help faculty and students with self-directed learning. Curates and manages these materials on the ATS website. Effectively explains how design solutions align with Amherst College's education strategy; creating design documents to inform and advance the learning design process.
• Build upon the strengths of the existing collaborative partnership with the Center for Teaching and Learning, Library, Writing Center, Accessibility Services, Communications office, and other departments.
• Bachelor's degree in any of the following fields or related field: instructional design, educational technology, information technology.
• 2 years of relevant academic technology experience.
• Expertise in the administration, management, and use of LMS for students and faculty.
• Expertise in the use of both Windows and Mac operating systems.
• Experience working with a diverse group of faculty and students in an institution of higher education.
• A proven ability to make technical issues understandable and create engaging yet simple training materials using media formats applicable to the specific need.
• Excellent customer service skills and strong, positive interpersonal skills.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively to large groups during training and information sessions.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented environment with constant collaboration among team members.
• Proven time management skills with the ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously and manage complex projects successfully.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Attention to detail and emphasis on quality and accuracy.
• Commitment to effectively working with a diverse community.
• Advanced degree in any of the following fields or related fields: instructional design, educational technology, information technology, communications technology.
• Three or more years of relevant academic technology experience in a higher education setting.
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge and abilities in the installation, administration, and management of Learning Management Systems.
• Working knowledge of content management systems, e.g., WordPress, Drupal, Omeka.
• General aptitude with web applications.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the design, development, and delivery of training methodologies.
• Exceptional interaction and visual design skills for product applications, including expertise with image creation and image editing software using off-the-shelf software imaging tools, including familiarity with desktop publishing tools (such as InDesign).
• Advanced knowledge of and ability to apply accessibility guidelines; Experience with the evaluation, installation, and use of assistive technology tools in educational settings.
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for https://www.amherst.edu/offices/human_resources/benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4874535
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
bottom of page